1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck pocket

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by duffer426, Mar 12, 2013.

1. duffer426

duffer426

Dec 26, 2011
    Hello I have a bass body with a 2 1/4 inch wide neck pocket, most necks are 2 1/2 can i make this fit somehow without ruining the neck or body? thanks

2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Yes route the neck poket out to match the neck. Do not try and alter the neck.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Have an experienced repair person route the neck pocket mod if you want it done right.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Depends on what your definition of "ruining" is.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Any decent woodworker will have the tools and know how to do it right; it doesn't have to be a luthier. Whether they be professional or hobbyist. If you know a hobbyist, you can ask to see work they have done (cabinetry, furniture) and if it's all tightly jointed, they should easily be able to do it for you. Just be sure to explain to them that it's important to have a perfectly flat heel bed in the pocket and a snug fit on the sides.

Pros to look for: luthiers, cabinet makers, furniture restorers, pro carpenters that do woodworking as a hobby. I like hobbyists because they often won't charge you, they do it for fun. Just buy some beer to drink with him while you watch him do it. ;)