1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck pockets: MIA vs CIJ...same?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1972 fretless P bass I'd like a fretted neck for.

Anyone know if the CIJ '70's reissue necks would bolt on, fo-sho?

2. I would think so. I'm not 100% sure but I'd bet money on it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fo' sho'? No.

But 99% positive it will... I've mated CIJ parts with USA, etc. etc.

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Had a Geddy body a while back and an ash trans brown CIJ body as well. Both pockets matched up with AmStd and Highway One necks, but the screw holes were moved up from where they'd be on an MIA bass. That is to say, they were aligned and the screws went in perfectly, but there was a gap of about 3/16" between the back of the neck and the pocket.

I hope this is making sense... I'll provide an example of what I'm talking about. there was a guy who put his bass on the Warmoth showcase who warned that Geddy necks didn't fit Warmoth bodies. They do, but you have to dowel and redrill the holes in the neck. What it appears he did, unfortunately, was to rout the rear of the pocket another 1/8" to get the existing holes to line up.