Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kicker, Jan 30, 2006.

1. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    i'm a newbie, so bear with me, ok :)
    i just got an old bass, 4 strings, with frets, which is cool for me, coz i'm just exploring for now.. never played bass before in my life..
    so i bought the strings, and started to string em up on my bass.. when i stringed up the first wire (it was an E string) i noticed that it touches first 4 or 5 frets.. so when i play that string without touching the fret board, i get a sound of metal brushing against metal (string, against frets)...
    i tried to make the bridge higher, but it just doent do it, coz no matter how high i put the bridge, the string still touches frets..
    i noticed that the neck is kinda popping out in the middle instead of being straight... is there a way to fix that, so the strings dont touch the frets?
    i read there is a kinda spike inside the neck that can straighten up the neck... what do i do?
    and oh yea, i got a lyon by washburn bass if that helps

thanks in advance

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You need to loosen your truss rod. Being new to the bass, i would suggest you bring it into a shop or local pro.

3. Plus one on that.

Truss rod adjustments are something you can learn to do yourself, but you'll be much better off bringing it into a local shop for the first few adjustments.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just to be sure:

From the way I read your post, it sounds like you have only replaced the E string. If so, did you already remove the other strings? The neck needs the tension of all four strings at pitch before you can figure out the proper relief.

If you have all four strings on it tuned to pitch and still have this issue, THEN, see the advice above.

5. Chasarms is right. Put on all strings. Then you,ll see if the neck needs adjustment. Look down the fingerboard from the head to the body and see if the neck is straight or if you have any bend. If the middle of the neck is bendig up, you need to loosen your trust rod

6. kicker

kicker

Jan 30, 2006
    thanks people... so i need to loosen it...
    so its lefty loosy, righty tightly right?
    i guess when i loosen it i will need to wait a couple of days for that to take effect?

7. Left=loose
    Right=thight
    Good luck!