Neck problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Here is my problem..
    I got a musicman sterling with a maple neck, but the neck is getting awfuly dirty..
    In fact, I'm very swearing of my hands, I guess the wetness of my hands hurt the neck..
    I tryed to clean with cleaning lotions as Dr Stringfellow or Fast Fret but its useless..
    What shall I do??
    Help me please I dont want to buy a new musicman neck..
  2. Is it getting dirty or is it getting gummy/sticky?

Is it the back of the neck or the fretboard?

Are your hands clean when you start to play?

Are your hands clean when you're done playing?

More info please...
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Dirty necks are cool. Means you are playing your bass. Is it actually hampering your speed? You would buy a new neck if this one was dirty? That's like buying a new car because the ashtray is full. Murphey's soap has worked on wood for me in the past. Good luck with your dilemma. I need to run, as I'm house shopping today. The carpet is dirty. :)
  4. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    It getting dirty.. First wet in fact and dirty when hen when it getting dry..
    It is both for the fretboard and the back neck.
    I wash my hands before playing..
    Hands are dirty after playing..
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well... your sterling has more than likely an unfinished neck, my stingray 5 did. So whatever liquid you are putting on it may not be helping your problem any. Unfinished necks get dirty, and theres not a real way around it. Now if it is gummy and nasty.. then thats something you should take care of.. If its not inhibiting you.. then i say let it be
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My DP Custom 5 has an unfinished maple fretboard, and it gets dirtier every time I play it. I love it that way.
  7. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I always thought it was cool how Eddie Van Halen's fretboard looked so dirty. Oh that's how he got so good!!