Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Edgar, May 6, 2001.

1. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I'm not the kind of guy who is always playing with is trust rod (No pun intended). I have this fretless Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe I've bought last year and never had the time to really
    use it. When I bought it in the store, I've notice that the neck was slightly loose (neck pocket). After that adjustment, she was buzzing a lot at the high register. I brought her back to have it adjust, it was better but not completely gone. Since then, no matter what I do, loosen the trust rod and/or raising the saddle, the buzzing is still there. I have the impression that the neck is bow (I know a neck is concave but this one seem to be too much from the first fret to the 15), is it possible?

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Adjusting the truss rod will not have much effect above the 15th fret. But I'm puzzled that the problem is still there if you raise the action at the bridge saddles.

You've called the sound a "buzz". Is the sound you're describing a clatter? Or is it more of a smooth growl, like "Brraaaoow"? If it's the former, you should be able to eliminate it by raising the saddles. But if it's the latter, that's like the Holy Grail of why people buy fretless -- that's the Jaco fretless "mwah".

Perhaps the neck pocket has been damaged so that the neck is tilted too far back at the body joint. You might need to shim it near the far end of the pocket (closest to the headstock). Shimming is NOT good for tone, but hey, if the bass is unplayable...

Let us know, K?