Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Problems???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DRN, Aug 4, 2003.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    How many of you remove all the strings on your bass at one shot when replacing them? I have always replaced one at a time in order to keep the tension on the neck. I thought someone told me this when I first started playing but lately I see road techs stripping off all the old strings and then installing a new set.

What do you do and would/do you have any concerns with your neck?

Just fyi I have a Warwick Streamer II NT and a Thumb NT both are 5 string.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. I've done it both ways. I never had a problem either way. If your concern is that there won't be string tension on the neck if you remove all the strings at once, don't worry about it. It is only for a few minutes; it won't hurt the instrument.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I think the old advice about not taking all the strings off at once actually applies to guitars, and more specifically to acoustic guitars, as some of them do not have trussrods. I have never had a problem with having all the strings off on any of my basses, even when they where off for a week when I was defretting one.

4. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the info. That makes restringing and cleaning the fretboard alot easier.