1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck profile and body size on Nordy VJ5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arbitrary, Sep 3, 2008.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Allright, I'm still jones-ing for a 5 string jazz and the Nordy VJ5is on my list. As with most of the basses on my list, I haven't played one. I'm danged curious what the neck profile is like on them. Also, how big/comfortable is the body? I'm a small guy after all. I'm know there are some people out there with experience on the VJ5. What's the neck like and how's the action on them in general?

Thanks!

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    thin. you can get the action wherever you want it. carey does killer fretwork.

3. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    It was one of the best necks I have played on a 5 so far..........very comfy......the action was great right out of the box..........

4. the body size seems ever so slightly downsized from a full size jazz, primarily in the width of the body.

The neck profile is unique. It's tight at the nut, full width at the bridge, and has a somewhat extreme compound radius which results in the fretboard being very flat above the 12th fret.

I didn't dig it, as it really didn't feel nor sound anything like a J bass, but it was made very well (very high quality, great playability, etc.). I've played a number of these now with various pre's, passive and pickups, and my recommendation is if you want a somewhat modern sounding and 'feeling' instrument that kind of looks like a J bass, these would fit that description.