Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck profile names

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Howard K, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Sorry if this shouldn't be in luthiers forum, but I figured I'd get a definitive response here..

I hear people talk about C shape neck profiles etc etc... and am considering getting a bass made for me in the future, so was wondering how to communicate the neck profile I want?

What are the names of the different profile necks and what basses are typical examples of each..

for example, what profile is

P bass
    Jazz
    Stingray
    Warwick

I appreciate there may be a number of terms for each style of profile, but what the standard names used?

Also, the 'flatness' of the fretboard is measured by radius.. is that correct?

thanks
    Howard

2. I had a similar query and did a search of the forums and found a couple of good explanations. I would suggest you try that and see if that helps.

Basically to paraphrase the post i looked at the discriptions given by letters refer to the shape, so a D profile starts of going straight for a bit before going into the full curve. A C profile is curved more immediately from the fingerboard (imagine cutting the C in half vertically and look at the closed half and you should get an idea of the shape). The main other type that comes up is the V profile. This is where there is a V type shape to the profile resulting in a noticable edge down the centre of the neck. This type is clearly visible from a distance.

As for your query about the fretboard, yes it is measured as a radius, often in inches or sometimes centimeters. My suggestion is to try out loads of instruments and find shapes and profiles you like. Especially with the fretboard radius you can probably go to the manufacturer's website and check what the actual radius is. As for the neck profile, if you search for more details on talkbass and once you know what the types are called again go out and try a bunch to find a shape you like, or a combination of factors you want.
    Hope this has been some help.
    H

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The two Warmoth profiles are both C shapes. One thick C and one thin C.

D shape is much more rectangular. The extreme is actually a rectangle with just radied corners.
    Actually, the D i this font is a very good example of D shaped neck, though in huge sizes, it is a bit too fat.. :meh: Anyway, I post a huge one:D :
    D

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    To quote form the warmoth web site:

What a fantastic innuendo!!!

Anyway, thanks for the help. This is an area I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on.

I play a 5 string Fender P bass right now, MONSTER fat neck... before that I played a Stingray 4.
    The the other day I was playing a friends Made in China Squier P Bass and fell in love with the neck shape, it was really comfortable an I could really move around it easily.
    It's 1 5/8" at nut - same as a Stingray, has 18mm spacing at bridge (the typical) and has a slim profile - not as deep as a P bass, maybe a bit deeper than a jazz.

I'm gonna try out a few, but I think this 'just thicker than a jazz' has got me.