1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck profile - Neck stability - SOund

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bajerovaquero, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I´m building this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705713
    :hyper:

I´m looking for information on neck profiles, I found some stuff on Warmoth site and Warwick, but I wanted to ask you guys... many questions.:help:

I´m considering a asym or wide D shape

Has anyone actually carved an asymetric profile?
    Any problem of stability since there´s more wood on the bass side and truss rod on the center (this goes for Tobias users too)?
    Also being a singlecut can it lead to uneven neck relief?
    Any major diference in sound?
    It´s said a chunky neck (D wide shape for example) improves atack sustain:eyebrow: and of course stability.

Comments and sugestions are welcome!

Thanks!

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I have, in fact, carved several assymetric neck profiles. I used to feture them on my basses, especially my wider 5- and 6-string models. I don't do it as much now, as I am doing more of a "classic J or P profile on my 4-strings, and a "flattened D" profile on my 5- and 6- string basses.

I did not notice any stability issues, but then, I tend to build really stiff necks. Lots of laminations, alternating types of wood. I really like quartersawn bloodwood laminations to add stiffness, and I've started using a fairly robust single action truss rod design (1/4" rod), sometimes coupled with carbon or graphite stiffening rods.

I do about 50% singlecuts now, and I've not had a neck relief issue, but I intentionally build some relief into my necks, I don't rely on strings to provide it.

Not that I have noticed, it's more a personal preference, for individual playability.

I don't know about a chunky neck specifically adding sustain, per se, but a stiffer neck will, in my opinion. A chunky neck would, in theory, be stiffer, if all other things are equal. A well build neck with a good truss rod doesn't need to be "chunky", though... it's all about what's comfortable to your hand.

3. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I agree with everything Shawn said. Only thing I would add is that on 6+ string necks I use two trussrods which in theory could compensate for any problems of the type you're concerned with.

4. Thanks for responding!

Yes I had to agree with SDB in all.

One key to succeed is stiffness.

I had no experience in building but it seems to me the neck on a EB is 70% of the non-electric sound.
    Stiffer necks as far as I feel, have a rich an focused sound.
    Also a thick fingerboard of tropical hard wood sure any positive effect on it.
    Some of the best hand made instruments I´ve tried, Jerzy Drodz, and Smith to name a couple are laminated necks with thick fingerboard.

:bassist: