Neck Profile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcgraham, Jan 20, 2006.

1. mcgraham

Feb 21, 2004
    Coventry, UK
    Hey all,

Something that I noticed we often neglect when discussing bass specs is neck profile, hence the name of the thread. I'm not saying we've forgotten about it, or that for everyone it will make or break a bass, I'm just wondering what your opinions are on it in general.

For instance, just as a little bit of controversy, I've owned a Geddy Lee for over a year now and I loved the neck to start, but slowly I've been finding that it just isn't for me. It is quite sensitive to weather and temperature changes, taking off the neck to adjust it can be a pain but I can live with that. However the thickness is just a little bit too thin for my satisfaction. Luckily it's a Fender bolt on so replacement necks are a possibility.

Anyway I just wanted to throw this out there and see what comes back. Do you find you need a more extreme neck profile i.e. warwick vs geddy, or somewhere in between, or is the actual curve more important to you? I'm imagining there will be a great deal 'in between' answers as it is quite subjective and a large spectrum of neck shapes. Hope that was a clear question!

Take care and God bless,

Mark G
  2. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    this is a great point. MY old Ibanez Soundgear had a neck profile that was like paper and I hated, my thunderbird has a real chunky neck profile that is nicely curved to my hand. Then my main bass, a Lakland Jerry Scheff Sig Skyline has the nicest neck I've ever played with my only complaint being that it doesn't join the body a fret later but no biggie.