1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck profile?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by allenhumble, Feb 27, 2008.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I am trying to draw out my neck profile so that I can make a template before I start my build. I have seen some of the info that I need in other threads but cant seem to remember which ones I saw them in. What I need to know is as follows:

1.What is a common thickness, not including fingerboard, at the nut?

2.What is a common thickness, not including fingerboard, where the neck meets the body?

3.What is a safe neck thickness on the other side of the truss rod cavity?

I prefer a thin neck. Thanks in advance.

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    So long as you have 1/8" behind your truss rod (slightly more at the headstock joint if possible... volutes go a long way here), you should be fine...

3. I'm looking at minimum 14mm at the nut (not counting volute) and 20mm at the body join, with a fingerboard thickness of 5mm (at the edges, 7 - 7.5mm at the centre with a 14 - 16" radius).
    Min 3mm (thats just a shade under Shawn's 1/8") behind the truss rod channel which means you need a nice slim truss rod. Truss rod channel no more than 11mm deep at the thinnest point of the neck.

4. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    At what point should the valute start?

5. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Take a look at this one:

[​IMG]

That should let you see the volute from a couple of different angles... bear in mind that you are looking at a 37" scale neck there, so the spacing can be deceiving... I usually start increasing thickness between 3/8" - and 1/2" from the nut.

6. I think the volute is really there as reinforcement for the headstock join especially when you have truss rod adjustment at the head end, as you have to take out a little more wood for the adjuster to fit in. This is the weakest point in the structure, so make sure your volute is sensibly placed to bulk up theis area.

7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I plan on doing a scarf joint at the headstock. Would I be correct to think that the joint line should follow the the back of the headstock, meaning that the tip of the valute would also be on the joint line? Or should it extend past the joint line?

8. SDB Guitars

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    On the neck in the picture, the scarf joint is in the middle of the headstock... look between the second set of tuners, and you can see it... the volute is not part of the joint, and does not come close to it at all.

The volute does act to strengthen the headstock so that it won't break, but it also provides thickness at the end of the truss rod. It also acts as a handy stop for your thumb when doing dive-bombs ;)