1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Profiles - How do you cope if...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jony, Mar 2, 2008.

1. jony

jony

May 11, 2007
    What neck profiles do you all prefer for 5 or 6 string basses?

I heard someone mention on this forum, he preferred a flatter radius and a thinner neck (fingerboard to back).

I'm curious for those of you who prefer these thinner necks, how do you cope? I seem to get some measure of hand fatique setting in earlier than if the neck was thicker.

2. I like thin, flat necks, although I have a B-neck P as well as a Warwick(narrowish but somewhat thick & chunky front-to0back). That said, I don't notice one profile being more fatiguing than another; if I did I think I'd gravitate towards something else. If it hurts, don't do/play it.
    The great thing is that there are tons of different basses to choose from. Find what you like & play the snot out of it. :)

Edit: I have a fretted & fretless Stambaugh 6(wide/flat/thin)& Fender Jazz 5(narrowish nut/wide-spaced bridge/chunky profile); the aforementioned Warwick & Fender are 4s.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

I like wide, flat, thin, necks.

4. I like wide necks, somewhat chunky in the front to bottom, with a flatter radius. The warmoth P is the ideal profile for me. Thin necks like MIJ Jazzes cause palm strains, and I don't baseball bat grip my necks, I use the thumb as anchor at the back only so maybe that's why. Maybe you should try resting your fretting hand thumb at the back of the neck, instead of on top of the neck