1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck profiles...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theFixer, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    True dat!
    Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of music shops around me with basses I WANT to pick up. The approach I'm taking, is to acquire as much knowledge as I can from you fellows, mix it with the knowledge I already have, and to look for consistencies throughout the various postings (like how Warwick and Spector are mentioned numerous times from numerous forum members). I feel confident that I'll be smilin' by the end of all this!

tomZbass likes this.
  2. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    On b and e string from fret 20 and after .
    You can feel the problem start really badly .
    Try play on that part and you will notice neck profile get so serious thing .
    But sadly most company doesn't have enough way to measure and ltshts a huge problem .even giving three number for profile still huge difference get annoying.
    But for sure you won't feel much difference in higher place of neck .

3. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    Funny you should mention that. I was just browsing their site! Regrettably... even Warmoth are crapbags about sharing details about their products! They offer a whole slew of different Jazz bass necks, but only 4 different P bass necks... and they're all maple.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    20170530_142642.jpg
    Might want to reach out to them. It looks like they'll make whatever you want. A chambered jazz body with a p neck, thick profile would be cool. Some of the tele necks look nice too. Also there's nothing wrong with maple, they have a roasted maple that looks really cool. My Warwick has a maple neck as does my Spector. Its a stock tone wood for good reason!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    theFixer likes this.
  5. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    Oh, I'm not bagging' on maple. My preference lies with darker woods, but I have nothing but respect for Maple's place in musical instrument manufacturing.
    I'll kick an e-mail off to Warmoth & see what they have to say.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I like mine short-scale, narrow, but NOT thin. Guild Starfire is perfect for me. Thin necks are guaranteed to make my hands cramp and/or hurt. I used to have a Telecaster (guitar) that sounded absolutely fantastic, but the neck was VERY thin and as a result, extremely uncomfortable for me to play for longer than about 5 minutes at a whack.

I also do not get along with a fretboard radius flatter than 12", especially if the neck is over 1.5" wide @ the nut.

7. As always, try before buy. And yes I do realize how difficult it must be for someone in your country to do so.

8. 5 string I like SR5, 4 string I like newer P-bass with the 1 5/8 at the nut profile but, the older ones with 1 3/4" nut is really my 4 string fav. I think it is the same neck as the SR5.

9. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    I think I just improved it.

10. I've felt the back of my left hand touch my forearm a couple of times from falling while speed skating, so now my wrist tends to lock up. My Teisco short scale is your "Standard" C shape and my wrist is killing me by the time I am done practicing for 30 minutes.
    I researched neck profiles before building and found a trapezoidal profile. The neck is thick and I now have no problems or pain when playing.
    2015-01-20144304_zps437715a2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    theFixer likes this.
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I do like a 12" radius best on a modest C shape, such as on my vintage Washburns. I do not like so-called "fat" or "baseball bat" necks. And I especially do not like a neck with a"V" profile on backside of the neck (such as a Washburn B-20 Stage bass). I find the "V", let me say, grabs the crease in my hand when grasping the neck. Irritating and jerky to my hand for me. I won't stand for it. I'm picky that way.

12. I'm generally not too picky, but I like the feel of a solid log of neck the most. Slim necks play fast but don't feel as good when I hang my thumb over for muting or fretting like the freak I am. My acoustic bass and my new Thunderbird have nice, round necks that sit in my hand nicely when I wrap my thumb around. The shape matters to me more than size; I have rather large hands and can work with just about anything.

13. I've a C width neck with a "C" profile and 7.25" fingerboard radius on my Fender 50's Classic Precision. Nicely sized and shaped neck. But as much as I love that neck, I much prefer the modified "slim C" shaped profile with a 1.625" width on my Fender American Special Precision. It's comfortable and fast, and can be played for hours without issue.

14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I like a flattened D profile neck best, personally.

Russell L likes this.
  15. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    I also like big necks. Or so I thought. I also have sorta big hands. I bought a Warwick Corvette and loved the feel of the neck for the first months, but not anymore. Especially not since I ordered a custom bass.

Maruszczyk Bass.jpg

This neck has a rather flat shape (unlike the Warwick). I think the Warwick has a standard nut width of 1.77" while being really chunky. This neck has a nut width of 1.97" and a radius of 14". I absolutely love this, even to the degree that I now decided to sell my Warwick and get another custom bass :)

16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017

You're correct. I don't think there is a industry standard for what is a C or D or U shaped neck across manufacturers. I know with guitar Fender description of C and U are what they go by among their product line, and it seems to be pretty accurate. But not to the point of precision. With Martin Guitars they have a V shaped neck on their higher end 000 and M series which feels totally different than the V on a Fender Strat. Nevertheless, both V shaped necks felt good.

17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    For bass I like a Jazz neck that's 1.5" at the nut with a 7.25" fretboard radius and thick front to back, almost D-shaped (if possible), and rolled fingerboard edges. Oh, and low frets.

I don't understand the need for a flatter fretboard radius than 7.25". And a nut width wider than 1.5" makes it harder to roll my fingers across the strings. I also don't feel the need for tall frets. I mean, I'm not bending bass strings.

Anyway, that's me.

18. Neck thickness, radius and nut width are all important for me. That's why I'd be all for manufacturers posting front to back thickness at certain frets in addition to "C" or "D" neck or whatever.

I like the nut with of a J bass but some are too round for me. Many P bass's have thinner front to back dimensions but I can't handle the nut width.

Some players can adapt to anything. I thought I was like that too until I used my MIM 50's Classic P bass for the first time on a gig. My hand cramped up like crazy. (BTW, I use proper technique; no thumb hanging over the top of the neck)

So for a 4 string, my favorite neck is the original CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz. I had the neck on my P bass re shaped into the same dimensions as the GL Jazz. It's been 5 years and numerous gigs and not once have I gotten hand cramps.

Having said all that, many of the gigs I play are on 5 string. Luckily, my custom Valenti bass has a neck profile like a 5 string version of a GL Jazz bass; yet it has a 12" radius and 35" scale. This is perfect for me.

Now if I could only get a new Rickenbacker 4003 with the same neck shape.....

theFixer likes this.
  19. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I prefer larger than 9.5" for more comfortable finger roll ie don't have to "flatten" the knuckle too much and also helps higher strings being always in contact (muted) with my left hand when playing the lower strings. Also the larger the fretboard radius the better for my plucking hand since I only have to move my hand in the x,y direction while z is kept to a minimum.

theFixer likes this.
  20. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I like chunky necks too, and I LOVE my SX basses!

Anyways, an observation on why the big names may not give you much info on neck dimensions. They want you to go to the store where you can try then out. Since SXes aren't available in brick and mortars, they seem to try to give a few dimensions: SX Ursa 3 RN BK - RondoMusic.com

That said, when you are using multiple factories, it's almost a given that there will be differences I how they make things. I think this is one of the reasons mfrs often state, "specifications subject to change without notice".

theFixer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021