neck profiles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Mar 1, 2002.

1. i am looking for basses with a thin neck and a profile that is flat down the middle (like peavey cirrus, status graphite). Any suggestions?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Zon, MTD, Ibanez BTB
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  4. both ibanez and the trb have round profiles IMO. I'm talking about pancake flat. I have double jointed thumbs (think jaco's thumbs), so I like to have my thumb flat on the neck.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ibanez Soundgears, TR's, Ergodynes and ATK's have very round necks, but the BTB is pretty flat.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My Warwick Streamer Stage I is very flat on the back of the neck, but it's not a slim neck by any means. I still dig it though.

I'd worry about the stability of a wood neck that was slim and also flat on the back.
  7. My Dingwall has a very flat neck. I hear Jerzy Drozds are really flat and thin too.

8. Lakland 5's are pretty thin. I'm not sure about the 4's, as I've never played one.
  9. Musicman Stingray necks are on the thin side.(front to back) but wide across the fingerboard. You know, I used to hate (or thought I hated) wide necks. After playing a bunch of them I got to like them. Now, if a neck is too thin, or the spacing is a little cramped, I can't stand it. Go figure.

Mike J.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my Carvin LB75 was flat
  11. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Jaydee Supernatural - Ridiculously Flat...
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  13. THin neck? try an Dean Edge.. not sure about the flatness.
  14. yeah, Deans are quite flat and thin....
  15. I wouldn't say that--my old Edge Custom 5 is pretty rounded on the back, a la Ibanez. But yeah, it's very thin.
  16. Don't know about the Dean customs, I should have said the Dean Edge Q6's are quite flat and thin.....