Neck PU on/off wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stelio Kontos, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Hi,
    I have a bass up for modding where I cannot fit a normal pickup selector switch into the cavitiy. I know there's L-shaped toggles too, but something else came to mind.

Since I have the bridge PU at 10 most of the times, I would like to cut out only the neck PU with a on/on switch, sending it's signal to ground. So it would basically be a kill switch but only for one PU. I like the idea of removing the PU completely instead of turning it to zero.

Can it be done like this:
    Neck PU --> Vol. pot --> Kill Switch ----> Master tone --> Jack
    Bridge PU--> Vol. pot ---------------------------^

Is there anything special to be considered about this? If this wiring is appropriate, should I ground the neck PU kill switch to the next pot's backside or directly to the output jack's ground lug? Should be of no difference right?

ctmullins likes this.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ground is ground, check and verify with a multimeter. This scheme sounds good to me. I’d use a push/pull neck volume control.

Stelio Kontos likes this.
  3. Alright, thanks so far! So both PU's hot wires would go the tone pot's central lug with my scheme. I've seen lots of diagrams though where the neck's signal runs into the bridge's volume pot, then from the same lug to master tone. What's the difference?

4. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    You might be thinking of typical Jazz Bass wiring, where the two volume controls work independently. You won’t need that for what you want to do.

5. Okay... but in case I would turn on the neck PU occasionally, I could control both PU volumes independently?

6. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Well, yes, if you wire it like a Jazz Bass. In that case you’re just adding a single switch to a standard Jazz Bass circuit.

Stelio Kontos likes this.
  7. Okay got it now. I guess what I apparently want then is Neck PU Vol. -> Kill Switch -> Bridge PU Volume -> Tone pot -> Jack

Edit: Now I realized that "wiring it like a Jazz Bass" means to use the pots in reverse. My first scheme is fine, when the volume pots are wired Jazz-Bass-style. NOW I got it. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    ctmullins likes this.
  8. Sorry I got to pull this one up once more. When I wire the volume pots in reverse, Jazz Bass like, what is the difference between a) one PU volume control's out running into the other PU volume out or b) both pickups' hot wires run to their volume pots separately and the signals from both volume pots meet at the tone pot. With a), all components make a chain, in b) the PU signals are separate up until the last control. What would be the effect of it?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021