Neck Question, plus a what should i get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Aug 18, 2001.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm torn between 3 basses

A MIJ 62 reissue fender jazz... it is beautifull except the stripe on the back of the neck where it meets the maple seems to be cracking or separating. I can't tell if this is from normal movement of wood.. or a possible truss rod over tighting thing. It plays and sounds beautiful (and weighs a ton)

There is also a beautiful MIJ foto-flame pbass ... I'm more of a j bass fan.. but this is the color i've always wanted, and plays beautiful (I'd probably add or change the pick up).

Or a New Warwick streamer standard.

Thank you for your input
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shoot, the Fender skunk stripe is detaching from the maple? :eek: It could be a combination of the rod and the wood, but I'd lay heavier blame on the goof who dried the wood and doofus who glued the skunk stripe in. Wood movesand the neck is under tremendous stress, but that isn't "normal", at least for USA Fenders. I've seen a mile of pre-CBS Fenders and own one, and I've never seen/heard of this!

As for which bass, I guess I'd go with the Warwick. I know there are good Japanese Fenders, but I always stay away from basses made in the Orient because I keep coming across stories like the skunk stripe. I grew up when all they produced was garbage and I can't shake the stigma.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I'm not as old as Rickbass so my overall impression of MIJ basses is that they are definitely better than MIM basses and can rival the quality of MIA basses.

As for the skunk stripe on the '62 reissue I'd just stay away from it. I can't imagine anything but problems coming from that neck.