Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck question - warmoth vs. USACG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlwarriner, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    okay, so i've finally decided to put together my own bass. i bought a body from the bay, and it's routed for a standard fender replacement neck. i've got it narrowed down to 2 choices, either the warmoth or the usa custom guitars. my reasons for choosing these 2 are that they are pretty close in price, and they both will do tilt-back headstocks.

are there specific differences between the two that would make one a better choice than the other? or do any of you have preferences and why?

please and thanks! :bassist:

2. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    I have bought several guitar necks and bods from Tommy @ USA. I highly reccommend USA. He is the greatest to work with. Friendly, knowledgeable great products. He has a very playable compound radius for the fretboard and I like having the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. His headstocks can easily be hand sanded to meet "other specs."

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've gotten bodies and necks from both, infact, I have a Warmoth neck on a USACG body. Both make great products.

Both had friendly customer support.

But I would go with USACG to get the truss adjustment at the headstock and cuz Tommy is a cool dude.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I believe your Warmoth neck will be slightly heavier due to the trussrod design.

5. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    i emailed tommy about USACG necks today, and i have to say...his email is what sealed it. he seemed more friendly to me, more interested in helping than the responses i've gotten from warmoth. he told me that he doesn't do the inlays i want, but pointed me in the right direction on where to get them.

so yeah, i'm thinking i'll order one from him when it comes time to "neck" my bass :bassist:

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Remember guys, Tommy was warmoth. I'm oretty sure I ordered my second replacement neck from him in 1999. When he started USACG he to the heart and soul (and most importantly lots of expertise, perfectionism, taste, and work ethic) to his new company USA Custom guitars. I will ONLY use USACG for necks not only are they strong as hell but they a still the only necks I've had that rarely need a fret level or dress out of the box. USACG's products are truly "PLUG and PLAY!"

I'm jonesing BIG time for a quarter sawn P Neck to mate up with an alder fender jazz body. Now all I need is cash flow Hmmm.

Tommy is a great guy that doesn't have to worry about where his next order is coming from (they do manufacturing for other companies so the little one off for guys like you and me are in many ways a welcome change in the monotany of mass orders IMHO) so he has the time to talk turkey (most of the time). No price is too steep if the quality is there.

ok Rant over.

~Mike :D

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Are USACG Jazz necks able to fit on a Warmoth body, I know it works the other way around....so I suppose that would be a yes right? *lol* :)

8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i havent tried USACG, but Warmoth necks is heavy and sturdy. But I like it alot.

9. I just finished my USACG neck. I started a thread on it with some pics on this forum. The quality is second to none, and the neck is very light and very stiff.

My USA body will be ariving in a day or two. :)

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    So do you guys know if it'll fit a Warmoth body?

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I have a USACG body, and have a USACG neck on order. I also have had about five Warmoth body/neck combinations. They both make an excellent product. I would agree that Tommy is an excellent guy, friendly as hell and willing to go the extra mile. I've found some of the guys at Warmoth to be friendly as well. I went with USACG for my latest order because of the neck options - radius and thickness are up to you. SWEET. I'll post again when I receive the piece and let you know how I like it. Warmoth makes a great neck (when my orders are filled I will have three), but there aren't many options on the bass neck side of the catalog. :ninja:

Bounce your ideas off both parties and choose from there.

PS - bwbass frequents these boards, and works for Warmoth (I believe he does CNC programming/design.) He is incredibly helpful, and will answer any questions if you pm him.

12. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I believe they are interchangeable - I've had a Warmoth neck on a USACG body, but not the other way around. I would email Tommy at USACG - he should know for sure.

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I was thinking of that, but I would feel stupid staying "Hey, yea...will your neck fit a competitors body?" :) I did email him about a few things and he was super fast and friendly. Actually depending on what I want for a body I may just go with USACG all the way. Warmoth only interests me in the top wood department with the zebra wood, spalt etc..

14. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    You can choose a top wood from, say, Gallery Hardwoods, and ship it to USACG if you want a nice top. I have not done this myself, but have heard it is a great option to try.

15. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Almost all of the bass neck pockets from Warmoth and USACG for fender clone bodies are the same because they use the same fender spec. I think the difference comes with the tele bass heel. USACG will do them (and on any body) Warmoth will not. :scowl: I actually wanted to get a second body for my dirnt from warmoth because they have a pretty sweet looking 72 type P-bass clone that is perfect for a MM type guitar. Sadly, the neck would not mate with their body.

But maybe I should order the pickguard and get the USACG P - rear routed and put the pickguard over top. Hmmm more room for the preamp. Gotta run :hyper: time to spec out yet another project :hyper:

Man I need to get paid to do this- if I only had the same passion for what I do now :meh:

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    How is the tele-bass heel different? This is the bass that I want to make. A Robert DeLeo copy, if you will (I'm thinking of it that way) *lol* :)

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just remember you arent going to get a standard Fender headstock from USA Custom. All the best with your bass in the works.

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't care about a standard one anyway. But, the USB-1 they have looks pretty close to the headstock that would be on this bass originally.

I don't have the cash right now, hopefully I can't get on this in the next few months. In the mean time I'll continue to plan and bother Tommy with the details *lol*

19. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    The tele bass heel- traditionally is square - like a tele guitar neck. Now warmoth will do square heel tele guitar necks and the matching pocket- but not bass guitars. They clearly state it on the website. EVEN their tele bass has a rounded neck pocket. Now that shoudnt matter to those building a new project - unless you're trying to go vintage. But for those of us who have a nice bass neck with a square heel- warmoth leaves in the cold. I think it's just a way for them to stream line their production costs (saves time having to switch programs) But to me that's a little less custom than USACG that will put a square heel on any of their bass bodies - to my knowledge. Also - those out their that want to mod your tele bass bodies with a different neck - if the body's neck pocket is square - beware! warmoth does not make square heel replacement necks for bass (or maybe they have it as a custom option) But why bother when you can get it at USACG?

~Mike

20. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    first of all, a great question.

both company's are excellent.

I will tell you that when you deal with Tommy at USACG he makes you feel like you are Sadowsky. He gives you his full attention.

His necks are second to none and weigh about 1 pound less than Warmoth. For me, I will only be using USACG necks from here on in.

The service at Warmoth is still excellent. BWBASS is the man. All though, I feel as if I were bounced around sometimes. So now I deal only with GREG. I really love Warmoth's bodies and USACG doesn't paint them.

Oh yes, will it fit?

YES.

john :D