neck question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im not sure if this is the right place for this question but im not sure were to ask it. Im looking to get a custom made bass made maybe here in the future and ive seem to been having a lot of problems with them twisting and warping on me so what would les likely go bad on me a set neck or bolt on? I live in the midwest and climate changes alot down here.
  2. well if you're getting a custom made, i would hope that they would be able to make something incredibly stable for you.

if it's a reoccuring problem, and not just with very low budget basses- i'd suggest possibly going with a bolt on for the sake of being able to replace the neck easily if it happened to warp on you.
  3. Not a matter of contruction style, moreso construction practice.

If you don't have properly cured / cut / selected woods, you run the risk of later problems. Nothing is a sure bet. Beyond typical setup considerations, if you're consistently having necks warp or twist, do you consider the posibility of something you're doing that is to blame?

Are you storing it near heat sources? Are you leaving it in sweltering cars? Do you take it in hot / cold extremes without letting the instrument adjust to its environs? Just an example of things that can make a neck go belly up.

A neck thru or bolt-on is still wood.

Maybe you could go a multi-lam neck construction, maybe graphite reinforced? Maybe dual truss rods? Like I said, nothing is a sure some cases, not even composites, and that is more likely the road you should take...

Just a few thoughts
  4. 5 pieces maple necks are really stable! :eek:
    Trust me! ;)

5. Does Vince love him some 5 piece necks??? :smug:
  6. No no, I love F Bass, then 5 pieces maple neck :p
    I tried severals, had them during winter for some months, they didn't moved!
    My 1 piece of the Jazz Bass moved!

7. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    consider a graphite neck. if you like the feel, they're totally stable.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm in central Ohio, & my necks never move...