1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Clydesauce, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    What kind of neck is used on a p/j bass? I hope this isn't in the wrong place I just saw asked questions here. Is is a jazz neck or a precision neck?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's no one answer. Could be any nut width or back profile. You have to go by the specific make and model.

3. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    Well I am making my own bass, so I am now totally confused.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So forget the pickups and concentrate on what neck shape and nut width feels good to you. The only thing that makes a neck "P" or "J" is some ancient history with one manufacturer. You can put any neck with any array of pickups. Go to a store that has multiple brands on display, see how they all feel to play, and then find out (here on TB) who makes a replacement neck like the one you liked. Or if you're going with Warmoth for example, ask which Warmoth neck is most similar to the Brand ABC neck you liked the feel of.