neck radius and action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Texx, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    I have a ´96 MIM P-Bass and back then they had 7.25" radius like the old fenders. It´s very hard to set a comfortable nice action without rattling on this Bass where i had no problems with other basses. Would a 9,5" radius make it easier to get a nice action?
  2. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Sorry my english isn´t the best.
    What i wanted to ask was if a smaller fretboard radius will requier a higher action?
    If it is so i could explain this to myself like this: when you plug the string it will oscilate mostly parallel to the fretboard. So the more plain the fretboard(the frets) is the less it will be in the way of the oscilating string.
    Now i wanted to know if my thougts are riight.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You shouldn't have a problem with action due to a vintage fretboard radius...You should check all the other usual suspects...

-relief in your neck

-uneaven frets

-check your bridge and make sure your strings are following the curve of the neck instead of being flat.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. You can get just as low an action on a 7.25" as a 9.5", all things being equal.

The frets are curved to the radius of the neck and the bridge can be adjusted to match the curve. This means the strings do not see a difference. In fact there should be a small advantage to the 7.25" since the neck will slope away more and give slightly more side to side leeway.

Try setting up based on the Fender bass setup. This will give you a nice medium action. If you can get this right, then try lowering the action. If you cannot get this right, you probably have a high fret and should take it to a pro.