Neck refin screwup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Eric Moesle, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Last week I refinished the neck of one of my jazz-type basses, a 5 string, since it had a VERY thick poly coat on it. I sanded off the finish and applied several coats of tung oil, and the neck was absolutely beautiful and perfect, UNTIL I tried to reinstall it on the bass. Stupid me, I should have left the neck-pocket area of the neck alone, now it seems that I have a 1.5mm gap all the way around the neck, pocket is now too large.

New neck isn't an option, I was considering some sort of filler. Ideas thusfar are injecting some epoxy into the joint, wood filler, bondo . . . what would you suggest?

Would it be best to insert the filler with the neck on, or should I build it up in the pocket first and re-route it to fit the neck perfectly?

Thanks a bunch.
  2. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I figured this out myself, despite a very fruitless search of the entire net on this issue. Just in case anyone else faces this problem in the future:

I ended up waxing the heck out of the neck heal, smearing the sides of the neck pocket with two part epoxy, then installed and screwed in the neck. Before the epoxy set, I wiped it flush with the body. Dried perfectly, and the neck was easily removed without disturbing the epoxy due to its wax coating. Both the bass and the epoxy were black, so no sanding, blending, painting, etc.
  3. Eric, you may or may not know this but for those that don't - This technique is called "bedding" and has been used by gunsmiths for years to solidly mount a barrel in a gunstock.
  4. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hambone, you're a smart dude. That's exactly where I got the idea from, found mention of it on the internet and applied it to the bass concept. Amazing what one can learn from other trades.
  5. i have just found this post and now i can get some sleep.
    i did exactly what you describe with a 5 string and have been pulling my hair out/ driving my girlfriend mad with my frustration.
    this place really is a great resource!
    thanks for posting your solution Moesle!
  6. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Where can one find black (or other colors?) of epoxy? Can you tint the normal stuff safely?