Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck relief problems... HELP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by brock29609, Jun 24, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Let me first say that I understand how a truss rod works, and how relief can be added or decreased by loosening or tightening the truss (respectively). I also know how to measure relief. That being said, here's my problem...

My new bass buzzes over a three fret area. Frets 8-10. I tried to add a little relief to give the string clearance because I believe the bridge saddles aren't too low. I keep loosening the truss nut, and I'm not getting relieve with the bass in tune. Even with the truss nut completely loose, I'm not getting enough relieve. I have a capo on the first fret, I'm holding down the string at the 15th fret, and the string barely clears the 8th fret. I'm not getting that business card thickness I'd like, even with no truss tension.

What should I do?! Does my truss have a reverse bow or something?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, you can try pushing the neck a bit. Coaxing it manually. Don't do it too hard though. If that doesn't help, go to a luthier and get the neck heat pressed.

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The strings were a little loose for a few days while I was waiting for my new pickups, so maybe it just needs a day or two of proper string tension to settle into place.