Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck relief

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Sep 24, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    While looking down the length of the neck on my bass (which is a 9 piece with graphite stiffening rods installed), I discovered that there seems to be more bend in the neck on the E side than the G side. Not a great deal, but enough to see clearly. I'm wondering if any of you here have had experience with this and if there is any cause for concern.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    How much? Have you actually measured it doing a relief check(fretting 1st & 18th frets)? It sounds to me that the neck you describe is twisted, it happens...

~S~

PS: What type of bass is it?

3. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    :ninja: I had a problem like this on a truly beautiful SSD-5 which was made by Stuart and crew shortly after he 'got his name back', and started making basses again. She's a single truss rod neck through 5'er; there was a knot on the B-side of the three lam maple neck @ around the 14th fret, and apparently the wood there would react more to the bizarro changes in humidity that we have here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland during the spring and fall of each year, and go out of true---((candidly, it would foul up the intonation a little, too)). I don't know that I ever would have noticed it but for the fact that I played with a lot lower action on my B-E(and-A...) strings than I do these days on my Roscoe 6er's.

In retrospect, it really wasn't that big a deal, although it certainly seemed so to me then, 13 or so years ago. The relatively simple fix ( carbon bars inlaid into the neck) was done by Joe Veilette ( I think...) under Stuart's aegis up in Woodstock, and it's been fine ever since.

That's the only bass I had that problem with. I have had several wide neck 6er's since, some with single truss rod setups, and although I half expected them to go out of whack, they never have.

You might take a look at your string sets with an eye to string to string tension...

RC a/k/a "notrt"

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a Setup issue, methinks.

5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    New DP Custom.......yeah, I know, I know........I just posted the story in the Basses forum.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    If it's a bolt on, you can remedy the problem quite easily as compared to a n/t. Let us know how you make out...

~S~

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If the bass can still be set up to play well and properly intonate, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If it really bothers you, try using a little heavier G string or even a G and D.