1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Repair ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by No Neck Shrek, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I just aquired another "vintage" Peavey, a 1984 Fury. The maple fret board is starting to seperate at the heel.

Any suggestions on how to repair this ? :confused:

2. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Depends. Bolt-on neck? What's the neck made of? If it's maple, is it actually a seperate fingerboard, or are the frets sunk directly into the face of the neck? Actually seperating or a hairline crack?

If it's a bolt-on & simple seperation, remove the neck, get some carpenter's wood glue (alaphatic resin) into the crack with a putty knife, clamp it down tight, wipe off any excess glue that squeezes out (once it's dry, it's not water soluable). Leave it a week to 10 days, reassemble & restring.

Best I can tell you with the little you gave to go on.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Is it like the T-40 neck -- cut down the middle?

4. OK, I was being called to dinner, sorry.

The neck is like a T40, bolt on, maple with a seam/cut down the middle from the heel to the nut. The seperation starts just below the 15th fret and continues to the end of the heel. Its not very big but, I sure don't want it to travel up the neck.

5. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Then like I said, work the carpenter's wood glue as far as you can into the crack with a very thin, flexible putty knife. Really load it up with the glue. Use woo clamps with felt or something at the contact points. Preferably 1 at each fret, no less than 1 every 2 frets.

As soon as the glue starts oozing out, wipe off the excess with wet paper towels. If it sets, you'll never get it off short of sanding it off. Way more work than you want.

Leave it clamped a week to 10 days. As the glue sets, it shrinks & pulls the wood fibers together. Once it's set, the wood will break before the glue joint will let go.

Good luck!

6. Thanks ! I'll give this a shot.

Any recommendations on the glue, I have some Elmer's wood glue I've used on repairs around my house or do I need some better glue?

7. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    Check the bottle. It should say "alaphatic resin" on it somewhere. If so, you're good to go.

8. Thanks again,
    I'll check, if not I'll go buy the right type of glue.

9. Actually, that's aliphatic if you're looking on the package.

Any glue that is sold as "carpenter's glue" or "yellow carpenter's glue" - Titebond, Dap, and Elmer's all market them - will work for this sort of repair.