Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Replacement for Epi Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babecker, Jun 3, 2003.

1. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I suppose this is as good a forum as any to post this question, so here it goes:

Has anyone replaced the neck on their epiphone Thunderbird? I hate the neck on mine -- too thin from front to back and I don't like rosewood fretboards. I'd like a chunkier neck (think PBass) with a maple fretboard, but I'm not sure if a stock PBass replacement neck will fit the TB body, as is...

Anyone have any experience with this? Or any relevant advice? Thanks a lot.

2. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Anybody at all?

3. that's not cool that no one replied...lol..

you can check www.warmoth.com for replacement parts or even check out those moses graphite necks.

4. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Yeah, I guess no one has any experience with neck replacements on Epi TBs or else their keeping it to themselves...;)

My only reservation with going Warmoth is the extra bracing rods they put in the neck -- the TB has neck dive problems to begin with and additional weight in the neck is just going to exacerbate the condition.

Maybe USA Custom necks are lighter, since they have the graphite reinforcements?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    link

that sorts out epi neck dive probs. i did it to mine and its great! rah!

6. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Thanks for the input. Yeah, i've done that strap button modification too -- the bass still doesn't balance as well as I'd like, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. The neck dive's not the primary motivation for the neck replacement, it's the thin neck -- makes my hand cramp up.