Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck replacement on Old-School Peavey basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FeelTheGroove, Mar 6, 2006.

1. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I have an '83 Peavey Fury bass, basically sitting in the corner because the neck has problems. That thing had monster Precision tone and I want to get it back into action, but I dont want to order a replacement neck to find out it doesnt fit right.

Has anyone replaced a neck on an old Peavey with a Warmoth or StewMac fender style neck? How did it work out? The width of the neck pocket is 2-1/2 just like Fender but it looks like the neck heel itself is a slightly different shape...any advice or pointers would be apprieciated.

2. Feel, I don't know about Furys, but I do know that Warmoth Fender-style necks will not work with Foundations. This may also be true of the Furys.

1) The pocket is much too small for the neck heel-

2) But the real problem is that the Fender-style necks are designed with the entire fingerboard about an inch or so closer to the bridge after installation than the Peaveys (at least, the Foundations).

The scale length is the same, but on the Peaveys, the nut-to-bridge string placement is moved out to your left, from your perspective looking down at the bass while playing, assuming you are right-handed.

There is no way you can intonate the bridge properly due to the inch or more shift to the left.

3. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    I have the same problem, except with a T-20.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Have you called Peavey support yet? They are really quite helpful.

5. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah, get in touch with Peavey. Better yet, go to PeaveyT60.com, join the forum, and PM Chip Todd. Chip is the designer of the T-series guitars and basses (T-60 & T-40). Perhaps he has some information that will help you since he is good friends with Hartley Peavey. It's worth a shot!

If you get lucky, he might even have a Fury neck lying around that he'd sell you!

Peace...

6. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    good idea, I didnt really think of getting in touch with Peavey. Ive dealt with them in the past and they were pretty helpful. Thanks fellas.

7. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Chip can also be reached by posting on Peavey's forum. He has a boatload of OEM parts. He offered me my choice of Foundation necks when I posted about a neck problem.

8. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    did you buy one? What did he charge you for it?

9. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    My neck was fixable, negating the need for a new neck. I think he was charging $100 or $125, finished.

10. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005