1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Sanding Question On Natural Finish Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 24, 2013.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm doing some work on my bandleader's early 90s Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe that has seen some wear over the years. I want to use this on longer gigs as it's so light and easy to play. So far I've installed Dunlop straplocks, cleaned the pots, polished the frets, installed new strings (the neck is straight as an arrow!), and put some foam under one of the pickups to reset the height correctly.

The neck has a few very shallow dings on the back plus it's really dirty (obviously whoever was playing it didn't wash their hands during gigs!). I'm thinking of using either some fine-grit sandpaper or maybe Scotchbrite pads to clean/even out the finish on the back (which is already a natural finish). What would you guys suggest as far as which grit to use or would the Scotchbrite be sufficient? I've got 0000 steel wool, but I'm concerned about getting metal shavings in the pickups. I don't really want to remove the neck if I don't have to. Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Use #0000 steel wool. Tape off the pickups and you won't get any metal shavings on them.

Scotchbrite would be the next choice.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks, I gave in and ended up taking the neck off. I'll proceed with the steel wool.

What finish would you guys suggest for the wood? The whole bass smells like smoke. Would lemon oil be sufficient?