Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck scoop?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Mar 22, 2002.

1. When talking about setup and fingerboard dressing, I often hear other bass players mention "scoop." I assume that this refers to the amount of concavity or relief in the neck/fingerboard.

How does the amount of scoop affect playability? How is it achieved without a truss rod (sorry to sound like a EBer)? Is the amount of scoop dependent on the bass or on the player's preferences? Does it change according to string tension?

Splain me.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    There was a great 2xbass message from Barrie Kolstein on the subject a while back, which I archived on my site- it's in the first section of the Double Bass Links Page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html

I affects playability just like the various changes effected by a truss rod on an electric bass neck and fingerboard.

3. Thanks much, Bob.

I found the link on your links page, but it bumped me to your new homepage rather than to the Kolstein article.

MG

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    oops, a blip. All fixed, it's there now.

thanks for telling me.

Too much web site and not enough brain to go around.

5. Got it! Much obliged.

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I just watched the fingerboard sag slightly where it hangs out below the neck while the block plane cruised up towards the nut, or where the nut should have been. The bass was laying on its back. When you're done, well, instant scoop! Well, when I'm done anyway.

IMHO, if neck relief was really a big deal for DB there would have been some way of adjusting the neck a long time ago and I'd be reading about bass neck evolution the way I read about bow and string evolution. Maybe I'm way wrong taking this stance and someone out there is making a killing (or planning on making a killing) with truss rods, graphite reinforced necks, thinner fingerboards and such, but I don't sweat relief on the DB like I used to on my EB. Do EUB's have this adjustable neck feature?