1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck screws

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by lowrez, Apr 2, 2009.

1. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have read a few times of a hump that can develop on some models from the neck screws being overtightened. I recently removed (and reinstalled) the neck to check the stamps. There is no hump in the neck of mine, but how tight should they be? I don't want to damage this bass.

2. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I tighten them all the way down without putting a lot of force into it then I back off slightly. Maybe 1/8 turn. If you have microtilt then you have to be aware of the fulcrum screw tension. I do the same with that except I back off a little more once it is tightened.

3. If you have a 6 bolt neck, just be sure that (1) The neck is well seated in the pocket and (2) The screws are evenly tightened. You want them good & tight, but don't go crazy about it.

It isn't a hump that can occur, but a ski-jump looking curve that makes the frets from roughly 12 and up nearly unplayable. While ski-jump can happen to any bolt-on neck (any neck, actually), it was seen more in the older 3-bolt, Precision Tilt, necks. This is NOT a result of a deficiency in the Precision Tilt design! It's a problem of over-zealous cranking on the adjuster. Some folks just can't wrap their heads around the idea that a little bit goes a long way.

Ken...