1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck settling in after string change

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by straightblues, Mar 24, 2013.

1. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I am new to bass but a long time guitar player. I just got a mid 70's Electra Jazz bass made in Japan. I put some tapewound strings on it. The strings on it when I got it were bigger and round wound. Anyway, I have adjusted the truss rod and get it playing very well without buzz. Then a day or so later, the buzz came back. So I adjusted it again and got the action perfect with any buzz. Now after a few days, I am getting buzz on the 7th fret again. How many more times am I going to have to go through this process? For guitars, it is set it once and you are good for a very long time. Do basses require constant attention?

2. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    Lots of views and no comments. Come on guys.

3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Some necks can take a while to settle in. Some are more sensitive than others. You may want to take the action up just a hair if it keeps happening.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You may be in need of a fret job or the nut saddles may be cut too low/high. If there are uneven frets, they will become more apparent with day to day climatic changes, such as dryness or humidity.