Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck setup with the truss rod hole at the body end of the neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Melf, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I have an MTD Kingston. Its truss rod access is at the body end of the neck. Does this mean I should turn the truss rod in reverse, as in turning it to the left is tighter and turning it to the right is looser, or do normal truss rod rules apply?

2. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I turned it 1/4 of the way to the left (needed to be loosened) and I can't tell ANY difference at all.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sometimes when you loosen a truss rod it takes a while to move, or sometimes it needs a little persuading. Sometimes i put a 1 inch piece of wood around the,.. 5th fret? i think,a nd then tune it. Puts more tension on the neck and it gains the relief.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey great, I was just getting ready to ask the same question. My fender Jazz v has the truss rod acess at the body end of the neck. If you are looking at the end of the neck and turn counter clockwise and someone else was looking at the other end (and could se through wood ;) ) the truss rod it would be turnig clockwise. Also after loosening the truss rod, do I need to leave the strings off so the neck can move easier or should I restring right away? Checked the gary willis page and neither of these questions are addressed.

5. I think it's ok. That Gary Willis page really opened my eyes, I was doing it all wrong all these years without even loosening all the strings, only the "A" string, not good....
    I probably could've saved a few cracked fingerboards along the way. :rolleyes:

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    So is it bad, then, to take your strings completely off when adjusting the truss rod?

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Thanks SMASH. Makes more sense now. Thanks for the links also.

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Oh, ok. Thanks a bunch SMASH.