Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck shape misconceptions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris J, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Today I got to try a few basses. A Tribute G&L L-2000, an MIM Pbass, an MIA J-bass with maple board, and a sub stingray. I must say that the G&L and the Jbass owned them all IMO. But to be fair only the G&L was plugged in. One thing that really dissappointed me was how badly my hand cramped up with the Pbass. What confused me was that the nut width with all the basses except for the jbass is rougly the same, is it not? So what's the deal with Pbasses? Do they have a different neck profile? And on a side note, I must say that in the near future I will be starting a "I got a G&L" thread. Awesome bass. If I was loaded I'd get the USA but what can you do? I think it was a nice celebration for ending my 2nd year at university.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    P basses have bigger necks than J basses, both in width and thickness.

3. Well I knew that, I thought I made that clear in my post. What I meant was, I thought that the L-2000 neck and the Pbass and the Stingray necks were more or less the same. But each one felt really different when I played them.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Just because the nut width is the same or similar on two or three basses doesn't mean that the neck shape and thickness will be the same. An example would be the Fender Jazz bass. The Geddy Lee, American and Mexican made jazz basses all have the same nut width but the thickness of the necks all differ.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's exactly why I always say around here, that you must :

Try before you buy!!

I've tried hundreds of different basses and the difference in neck profile, you are talking about is something that you can't judge from pics, spec or other people's comments...:meh:

I think it's a very personal thing based on your hand/wrist/arm size and what will suit one person with long thin fingers for example, might not suit another with thick stubby fingers....

It's only by trying a bass yourself that you can determine this.