Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck shaping with shaper

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joeviau, Jul 28, 2002.

1. joeviau

joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Has anyone tried to shape the majority of a bass neck shaft with a shaper? If so, what's a good radius for the roundover? The neck I'm dealing with is a through-the-body, with the maximum depth being about an inch. My plan is to let the fingerboard ride the bottom part of the shaper, with the whole neck being clamped in some sort of sled assembly--after all, we value our fingers!

I understand that the transition between the neck and peghead will have to be shaped by hand, but getting rid of that 80% in the middle sure seems nice.

Also, if anyone has any advice on neck shaping in general, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks! This is a great forum.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I use an angle grinder, a hand plane, and a cabinet maker's rasp. Sounds like it would be hard to shape a tapered neck with a shaper.

3. I know that Wal uses a large shaper. The roundover looks to be in the neighbourhood of 2-2.5 inches (from a picture I have). Despit this, the shaper bit is definitely not a normal bit, the roundover isn't a half circle, but is flattened out at the top, probably something custom built for shaping the necks.

Spokeshaves and rasps work nicely, I am using them on my neck. I have seen guys using bandsaws, careful use of it can save time, though I wouldn't suggest it unless you are really experience with wood working, there is a tendency to take too much wood off. Lots of time spent with some rough grade sandpaper to get all the inconsistencies out of the neck is a good investment of your time. I read somewhere that if your arm doesn't ache, then you aren't finished sanding (assuming you are sanding by hand and not using a machine).

Geoff