1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck shave?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cloren, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    anyone know if a neck shave is a good idea on a bulky warmoth neck? It's bubinga and has a great feel but just needs to be slimmer for my taste

also, how much do these typically cost?

2. Unless you know the exact depth of the truss rod channel rout, it is risky to shave a neck down, just in case you break thru. You can shave it off but it's tricky putting it back on again. In that case it will cost you a new neck. If you are so unhappy that you refuse to use it, then you have nothing to lose by shaving a mm or two off it. Just I would check forst to see if Warmoth can provide any details about the neck construction and any channels for stiffeners or truss rod they may have added.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    HI. I have used both the truss rods and steel stiffening bars Warmoth sells for necks I have built from scratch. These are the same ones they use on their basses. The stiffening rods are 1/8" wide and 1/4" deep. The Truss rod is approximately 7/16" inch deep. Based on my Warmoth Padouk neck, I doubt the overall thinkness could be shaved much if any. The neck could possibly be shaped to a V shape on the back, possibly. But I would highly recommend against it. Best though is seek out a new neck if the thickness is an issue.

4. you can PM wyliee, he is a member here and he works for Warmoth