neck shimming

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Still trying to get my action lower. Bridge adjustment is bottoming out, but still no buzzing. I've heard that this is a common problem, and can be solved by removing the neck, and putting a folded business card behind the neck bolt-on screws. This is supposed to primarily change the neck/body angle favorably. Good tip? Any reason to use something other than a business card?
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Good tip. A business card will work fine.

3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have pretty thick picks that I don't use very often, so I used one of them. They're Dunlop 1.0 mm. It worked fine. Two was too much, however.
  4. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Folded piece of business card did the trick for me. Major improvement. Action is much lower, and the bridge adjustments are no longer bottomed out.
  5. The problem with using a pick for a shim is it's shape. Though it does give you the right amount of pitch, it only contacts a small portion of both the neck and the body. The larger the contact area between the neck and pocket, the better sonic coupling and the better the sustain and tone. Using something wider across the entire width of the pocket is better because it supports the neck better. My '76 Fender P had a ¾" wide piece of veneer across the bottom end of the pocket from the factory as a shim.
  6. I use business cards or plastic grocery store discount cards (the same thickness as a credit card).
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I shimmed my neck today! I used two Fender Heavy Picks (stolen from my guitar playing father), placed side by side in the neck pocket. Worked swimmingly.