Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck sizes for ERB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassChuck, Feb 10, 2006.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Not to bore with details, but I'm getting ready to make some major choices on basses. I was wondering if some of you with 6, 7, and 8 string basses could tell me the width of your bass neck at the nut and also the 5th fret (or thereabouts for the fretless set).

Also... if you have a 6 string, why did you choose to string it BEADGC or EADGCF?

thanks for the help and time.

2. Daleb

Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    Not sure about the measurements...I'm at work and don't have my bass with me :meh:

However, I do play 6-string and tuned it the "standard" BEADGC when i first got it, but now I tune it F#BEADG. I really dig the lower range, but sometimes I wish I still had the C. I guess i need to eventually get a 7 or 8. Having the C for over a year got me more into chording/double stops which is a little harder to do now. The more I think about it the more I think having an 8-string tuned low F# through high F would be a blast. :hyper:

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Neck sizes vary by bass. I have three ERB's that measure as follows:

Brice HXB406 = nut @ 2 1/8", 24th fret @ 3 1/4"
    FBB fretless 6 = nut @ 2 3/8", end of fingerboard @ 3 5/8"
    Conklin GT7 = nut @ 2 1/2", 24th fret @ 4"

Not sure of the 5th fret measurements, since I'm not at home.
    Sorry, can't help you with 8 string measurements .......

The 6's are tuned BEADGC, the 7 is tuned BEADGCF ..... :cool:

4. 7-string fretless: 2 5/8" @ the nut/3 1/8" @ the 5th fretline
    6-string: 2 1/4" @ the nut & 2 3/4" @ the 5th fret
    they're both tuned BEADGC(F); I like to go low(the 6 has a detuner for dropping it to A).
    On the measurements- wouldn't you rather know the width at the 24th fret(as opposed to the 5th)?

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Steve,

Did you get the Stambaugh? Post some pics when you can .... :cool:

6. Hey Ed-
    Yeah, it's here:hyper: ; I'll get pics up when I can put it down. Just as an imaginary visual aid, the neck on this thing is multi-lane highway WIDE(& I like it).

7. My 8 string is 2 3/4" at the nut.

8. I LOVE my 6ers - can't go back to a 4 or 5 - keep trying, but there's always something missing (like a string or 2) :p

I'm trying to stay away from a 7 (although Steve Millhouse's black Roscoe was taunting me for quite some time) since I'd have to tune it with a low F#. I won't do that since I don't have an 18" speaker cabinet. My 15"s take a beating with the low B, and I'd hate to try and run low F#s and G's through them.

When I get the new 6 (SO damn close to ordering one), which will be my "stellar" instrument, I'm going to take my Brice Z Prestige and tune it one step down to A-D-G-C-F-Bb. Our Celtic Rock project does a number of tunes in B/Bm, and a couple of them would benefit greatly from that flat-7 to tonic low A to low B. I'll just play the tunes up a step. :cool:

9. I string BEADGC because a high F string seems unneccesarily high, and a B string is so useful