Neck sizes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Robert, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Okay, new as I am to double basses are there any dos and don'ts when considering neck sizes (girths)?

I found this Wilfer hybrid with a very thin neck. For me it just seems very easy and playable, but are there any downsides with thin necks?
    Do I appreciate thin necks just because I am coming from the electrical bass area and just don't know better?

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Please see my new reply in your other thread. Good question.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I can reply only from my own experience. I play in a genre which puts me into contact with many Kay basses, which have thin necks. I also played electric most of my life and upright only in the past 3 yrs or so. Initially, I thought the thinner necks were more comfortable, but on a gig that is several hours in length I was able to easily see why thicker necks work better for me. My hands and forearms will cramp unless I have a chunky neck.
  4. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I had the same problem for a while. I have a bass with a thick neck and and englehardt with a thin neck. When I first started playing the englehardt, my thumb would cramp. After I got used to the thin neck, it doesn't bother me anymore but I have found that I prefer the thick neck. - my $.02
  5. So, "fat-necked bass player" is actually a compliment?
  6. As long as your neck is not red...
  7. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I prefer Thick-necked, thank you very much.
  8. When I first started playing I has a cheap plywood with a fairly thin and narrow neck. When I finally got a decent bass, the neck seemed huge and my hand hurt like crazy for a few weeks... now when I play basses with wimpy little necks they just feel silly. I don't know that it really matters, it's probably just a matter of what you're used to. I think you'll get used to either pretty quickly if you play it all the time.
  9. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I don't know if it makes any difference, but I was playing my Kay yesterday and noticed that there was daylight between the heel and the neck. Not a good thing. I released the tension on the neck and brought it to my local luthier. My Kay is 50 years plus old and I have come to accept this because I ain't no spring chicken and I got separation problems to. I really like a thin neck. I had a Roth in college and never got used to the aircraft carrier neck. Just my .02 cents. Later Gator