Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck stability Ibanez Soundgear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ace14, Feb 28, 2006.

1. ace14

ace14

Jan 12, 2006
    Im the proud owner of a japanese made ibanez sr 800. I was visiting my favourite guitar shop and got to talking with one of the techs and he told me that soundgear necks will eventually bend or crack because they're so thin. Does anybody know if this is true? I would hate it if i lost my bass this way!! :crying:

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i had gsr200 a long time ago which had a very bent neck. no amount of truss rod adjustments could straighten it. thank god it was only a gsr200.

3. There's pretty much a 100% chance your neck will bend. It's what wood does, your truss rod can fix that. 5 piece laminated neck will make it stronger than usual so I wouldn't freak out. As for cracking that's pretty bunk if you take care of your bass (don't leave them in high humidity areas). Worse case scenario you can get a new neck with no issues (same for GSR with maxed out truss rod). I wouldn't worry about it.

EDIT: Someone just started a maxed out truss rod thread, see that as well.

4. ace14

ace14

Jan 12, 2006
    It wasnt so much the bending part that scared me cause i know all necks will move. What freaked me out was him saying that neck could split along the same lines as the truss rod. :eek:

5. I had...and have my old sr 554 (i think that's the number), I still use it as my back-up bass. It's about 15 years old and has not split. It has bent, but not any more than a normal neck would bend, the truss rod does it's job.

6. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    I bought a brand new SR800LE in 1990. I just sold it 6 months ago. The electronics were starting to give me trouble, but I never had a single issue with the neck, even though I had changed the setup on it many times (going back and forth between E and B tunings). That was the single greatest neck I've ever come across on a bass, thin and fast.

7. Assuming it's good wood, something would have to happen to the wood for this to happen ya know? Just take care of your bass and you'll be fine.

8. ace14

ace14

Jan 12, 2006
    Wow, thanx for all the replies: you really restored my faith that despite it being a thin neck its still a reliable neck :D
    rock on everyone! :bassist:

9. Sure, no problem. If all of their necks were bad, they'd be out of business.

10. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    This is an excellent point, and one that can be applied to virtually every product we use.

We should remember to take it with a grain of salt the next time we hear (or read) that all of a company's products do something awful.