1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Straightening - common?? Insight?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OldSchoolBass, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I have a beautiful Ibanez Artcore and truth be told I have been playing one of my other basses recently, probably over the last month so th Artcore has been idle.. Anyway, I took the Artcore to practice with me last night, as a nice change of pace. It's a neat bass, nice look, feel, tone, etc.

I plug in and play and the action is LOW. Especially the G string.. Stare down the neck and the baby is almost straight as an arrow. I had it set up when I got it, the action was pretty high and after that it was sweet. However, it has been idle for a while - is it common for the neck to move slightly and need re-adjustment? It is case kept, climate controlled.. Yeah, I am borderline crazy. :D

I've been playing almost my entire life, but as far as the innerworkings, I am admittedly ignorant.

Any insight or "d'oh!!" 's are welcome. I am just curious.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It's possible the neck straightened out more after you had it adjusted. Wood takes time to settle.

A 1/8-1/4 turn on the ol' truss rod to loosen her up outta straighten it out.

Do you dislike the low action? I try to get my strings as low as possible without buzzing.

3. Thanks! I'll run it to the local guy here over the weekend, I have this paralyzing fear of trussrods.

As far as action, I definitely like the action low, but this was a bit much. When I sat it flat it was almost as though the strings were resting on the frets.

So a lil' turn'll do it. I didn't think it was anything monumental, it was just strange. That will teach me to play ALL my basses regularly. :bassist: :)

Maybe it was angry at being annoyed. LOL

"I'll fix his wagon..." :spit:

4. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Don't fear the truss rod, it's your friend.

Get a beater bass (or one you have), read up on how to and play with it. You live in the NE, climate change hell for wood, you should be comfortable doing minor neck adjustments.