1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck strength Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sapatown, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hello fellow bassists,

Im new to Rickenbacker 4003, and since I got one of the newer models Im wondering how strong is the neck? I mainly enjoy playing in Drop C, C-G-C-F. But I just read right now that its possibe to tune it to C-A-D-G, and it will stille be Drop C?

Whats the difference with Drop C and C Standard?
    Which one should I use for the Rickenbacker 4003?

I heard the Rickenbacker 4001 have weaker necks than the 4003, but I really don't know.
    Is the two nuts in the neck better than one?

I know I should get a 5 string for this tunig, but at the same time, I have heard so many people say it don't matter, but still hear so many are afraid of the famous bow neck.

Its a neck trough the body, so Im a bit worry I will mess it up don't having the knowledge about this stuff.

Is it all about a fitting action, right?
    A guy at my local store said it really do not matter what tuning we play in, and that it should not affect the neck. He almost tought I was silly asking that.

Ps.
    Is it a way to find out which year the bass is from?
    And sorry all the newbie questions.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you're using the correct gauges for however low you want to tune than the tension on the neck won't be any higher than normal.

3. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Yeah, I tried 130 before, which was way to much, but heavy Boomers GHS or something around 120 is good.

So regarding damage on the neck, its all about string gauge and the action right?
    Right strings will take care of the neck?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're worrying about the neck too much. You just need the right strings to tune to the notes you want and the set up is for you, not the health of the bass. It's about getting everything where you want it to make playing as effortless as possible.

Now I have no idea what strings might be to big for the bridge or the tuners or the nut. It's not like you can put giant drop tuning strings on a bass without any adjustments or possible modifications. That's something others will know more about.

5. reverend1595

reverend1595

May 9, 2017
    The neck strength problem on the 4001 is due to the truss rod system, as it was not designed to use with roundwound strings (flatwounds were standard when the 4001 was designed, and have a lower string tension). My understanding is that the necks on the 4001's would crack near the nut where the fretboard was attached to the neck. This crack is caused from an improper adjustment of the truss rods. In addition, many 1970s 4001's have truss rods that are completely maxed out and nonadjustable due to stress and age. With that being said, the 4003 model was designed with an improved neck and truss rod construction so that the problems of the old 4001's are eliminated, so you have a lot more possibility to tune down.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't think so.

47th Street likes this.