1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck suddenly needs a shim

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eukatheude, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hi. I've this (allegedly) Fender body with a Roytek fretless neck stuck to it. The truss rod wasn't strong enough to keep it straight, so i tried unmounting and reverse clamping it. It didn't help, and moreover now i can't setthe action low enough. I don't recall there was a shim in there when i took it apart (weeks ago) so i'm wondering what the issue is, since i did nothing to the pocket or the neck heel. So it must be a mounting issue. What have i done wrong?
    (And by the way, any way to check if the body is actually a Fender? There's no serial number or Fender neck plate, though the pickups don't look, and more importantly don't sound, like Krapteks.)

2. Anyone?

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I often use a flat shim for cases like this. It's easy enough to try one and see if it helps.

If not, the next thing I'd try is a reverse shim.

4. Flat shim as in a shim that covers the whole heel? What do you suggest to use as material? I only have the most minimal tools available, as in a screwdriver and a pair of scissors.

5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Card stock, like from business cards will work.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've used layers of masking tape for flat and wedge shaped shims. Business cards or other thin pieces of non-corrugated cardboard also works. I've even used the flat plastic promotional "credit" cards I get in the mail all too frequently.

I also use bass wood of various thickness from the hobby shop for full pocket shims.

7. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    We know how to get the action right again but the question is.....
    What caused this to happen ?