Neck Swap - Safe To Restring?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Dec 12, 2020.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    I installed a Squier Matt freeman neck onto a 2016 Squier 70s classic vibe pbass.

I've screwed the neck in as far as I can by hand but there still seems to be a slight gab between all 4 screw heads and the neck plate as seen in the picture.

The neck was a pretty tight fit when I placed it in the neck pocket but once it's all screwed in there is also a gap on the sides of the neck pocket (width of 1 sheet of printing paper).
    There is no gap at all on the heel end of the neck pocket with the new neck screwed in.

Based on all this, is it safe to restring or do I need to do something to get the screws all the way in?

Attached Files:

2. Isaac J

Isaac J

Dec 26, 2016
    UK
    I don't want to sound patronising - but did you double check the countersink of the neck plate was on the right side before installing the screws? It looks looks like the neck plate needs flipping over from the picture, then you should be able to get the screw heads flush.

As for the gaps in the neck pocket, they're pretty common so not a cause for concern as far as I know, especially if it's only the size of the thickness of paper.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Not sure what you mean by countersink but I just realized I screwed in the neck plate upside down (doh!). I'm guessing correcting that could help.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No "doh!"...just plain ol' "derp!". Looks like a cool project.

Riis

5. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    First neck swap haha! Unscrewed it and flipped the neck plate around. All good now.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Cool project.
    I'm glad people don't have neck plates.

Lownote38 and jamersonburton like this.
  7. Isaac J

Isaac J

Dec 26, 2016
    UK
    Success! Glad it's sorted.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022