1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck swapping (Fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JesseVMT, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I got this blacktop Jazz from a trade I did, thinking it might be nice to have a backup P style Bass. But it turns out this thing is tone monster. I'm considering swapping the neck off my P bass and putting it on the blacktop. I've never done this before and just looking for a couple pointers. I far prefer the look and feel of Maple over rosewood.
    I have some other plans I might do to this bass, it just screams for modding. 20170120_124033.

static0verdrive likes this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Just make the switch. Simple as that. The maple neck should fit perfectly on the Blacktop with no modifications.

3. As long as they're both 4-bolt type, sure! My only complaint regarding my AVRI'75 jazz is that it's the 3-bolt with micro-tilt adjust... much harder to find a replacement and swap if I ever wanted or needed to.

Moosehead1966 and JesseVMT like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i believe Lownote38 is correct. just wanted to say that both instruments pictured look really nice!

Lownote38 and JesseVMT like this.
  5. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks!

6. Everything should go nice and easy. Just make sure the necks fit well (they should) in each others pocket before putting the screws in. After tightening the screws and stringing the bass look down the neck from the bridge and make sure the strings are even. If not, slightly loosen the neck and move it to align, then tighten the screws. You can align it yourself but it helps to have a friend.

By the way, love both basses but that Blacktop is really pretty!

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    What they said.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Much less complicated than other types of swapping!

9. Yeah that jazz looks awesome! Love the bridge too...

JesseVMT likes this.
  10. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    Fenders were made to be able to swap parts around.

There can be variations in the pocket and screw locations, but heck, try it and see!

JesseVMT likes this.
  11. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Ya the bridge is really solid

12. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for the replies everyone

13. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    I've never had one that was as simple as "swapping" them out. Always needs a shim somewhere. But then I check the set with a nice straight edge and do a full set up. I dunno, maybe I've just never been that lucky.

JesseVMT likes this.
  14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That's just because bolt on necks need a shim in the neck pocket 99 times out of 100. That's not a bad thing, just a thing.

JesseVMT likes this.
  15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

@JesseVMT; Sweet Blacktop you got there. And speaking from personal experience…yes, they are incredibly powerful beasties! :thumbsup:

Sagely advice.

Warhawk and JesseVMT like this.
  16. You might find one neck fits more snug than the other, but the neck pockets should be close in size. The scale length is the same, as is the neck position and number of frets. Heck, your tuners are pretty similar so you can just loosen the strings and take them off the tuner posts and leave them attached at the bridge. Then swap necks and reinstall the same strings. Piece of cake!

Warhawk and JesseVMT like this.
  17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    If you want to get your action really low, shim the pocket with a 3/8 inch slice of business card before you bolt it on. Almost all of my Fenders end up getting the shim.

JesseVMT likes this.
  18. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_0589.JPG
    My experience has sort of been the opposite. I am swap happy.

J. Crawford likes this.
  19. iamprowla

iamprowla

Nov 28, 2016
    UK
    If they don't fit, then you can just put them back.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just be careful of the paint around the pockets. There are some sharp edges around them so the paint chips easily. Be slow and careful putting the neck down in the pocket and you should be fine.