Neck-swapping on Musicman SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kevin_5656, Feb 3, 2001.

1. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    A big established music store(an Ernie Ball dealer) has offered that for a fee they will swap necks between SR5's(new ones) that they have in stock to give me the configuration that I want.

What I'm looking for is a black body with maple fingerboard. What they have is a black with rosewood, and another colour with maple. They said that because these are machine-made basses there shouldn't be a problem popping the neck off one and putting it on the other.

I emailed Ernie Ball a few days ago to ask if this was ok and if it would do anything to the warranty. But I haven't heard back from them yet.

Any experiences in this area?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think that would totally kill your warranty and any music store that would consider doing that might lose their licence. A warranty is only good for repairs. If you do the switch & for some reason the bass has to go back to Erine Ball for reapir, they will realize the serial #'s don't match w/the bass you have. I say stick with what you got & in the long run, you will have less problems!!!
  3. kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000

I got a response back from Jon Montgomery at Ernie Ball, and here's what he said:

"That does present a possible warranty problem. Plus, if you ever want to
    sell the bass, the serial number won't match the instrument - which makes it
    worth less."

The fact that it was a reputable shop("Steve's Music" in Montreal) offering to do this for me is going to make me very cautious about buying from ANY retailer in the future. Especially in regards to bolt-on necks. In the final stages of purchasing a bass it would appear to be essential to explicitly confirm that it's ALL original parts.

Thanks, Nino-Brown, for your input.