Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck swapping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonas_oxide, Aug 20, 2005.

1. is it posible to take a bass with a through neck, and use that neck on another bass?

i have this great playing lado rfetless custom job, but it is an sg shaped body, i get crazy neck dive, not only that, but its body is entirely maple, its dang heavy.

but it is the best feeling neck ive ever played on any bass so far.

is there any way to get it converted into a set neck singlecut, or am i just dreaming about some expensive, and unnecessary procedure?

how much would any of you great tb luthiers charge for such an operation
    ?

2. Maybe some pictures would help coax out an answer from TalkBass's elite???

Just a thought. ;)

~Ryan

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So you want to take off a body that's nearly permanently glued to the neck and put another one on? I think it can be dome, but not easy or cheap. Probably cheaper to have a skilled luthier copy your neck.

4. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    You could probably saw off the wings attached to the centre section say 1/8" outside the glue line then use heat (hot iron) to release the glue line.
    This would leave you with the neck thru section intact and ready to fit new wings.
    Probably too difficult to fit a single cut body to the curved neck but you could use a style with an extended upper horn to give better balance.
    Jeff

5. then here you go

Attached Files:

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Note that the neck holds half the pup routings and the bridge monting...

So you have to saw off the body wings, put in new ones and redo all these things. Oh, youd probably have to plan off the back of the neck, to make it fit with the new wings!

I short: don't!
    Make a copy of the neck, if you love it that much. And, if you are going to make the body yourself, you should make the neck, too. JMHO.