Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck taper jig

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by #include <MK>, Apr 16, 2005.

1. In the thread link below, Hambone describes a jig he made to convert a P to a J neck.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140867&highlight=taper+jig

I need to do this for a P neck soon. Is the neck only routed, or the taper applied, to one side only (the G string side)?

Any pics would be much appreciated from anyone who's created or knows of a similar jig. I'll be using a router not a table saw.

Hambone, if you read this, has your status on this forum increased enough to post a pic of your jig?

2. I've hinted at it enough and there seems to be a little bit of interest in what I've done that I guess it's time I show what I'm talking about. I'll pull together some pics this evening and try to explain what goes on with it. I'll put it in a seperate thread though for easy searching.

3. Here's a coupla pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's pretty much self expanatory. I bolted the neck in from the bottom at the heel and used a plug through the tuner hole at the headstock. Then the router just guided along the aluminum bar to narrow the neck.

easy peasy.

4. Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I envisioned the design given the description you gave in your original post, but just wanted to see how the router sits on the jig.

It would be interesting indeed to see the more advanced version you created.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Neat meat, Ham!

I'll soon have filled up my microshop with rigs and jigs, curtesy of Hambone :)

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    So IS the taper applied to one side of the neck, somebody enlighten me, i've been following the thread.

7. No, you cut both sides of the neck. I make an equal distant mark in from both sides at the nut and line my bar up with that mark and the edge of the neck at the heel.

If you were to narrow from one side only, your neck pocket wouldn't fit properly and the neck wouldn't fit square with the centerline of the body.