Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck tapering tips?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by phatcactus, Aug 23, 2004.

1. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Anybody have any advice on making tapered cuts like a neck? I've been roughing it with a bandsaw and cleaning up the edges with a belt sander and jointer, but it seems like there must be a cleaner, more accurate way. Perhaps something that could fit in a miter gauge slot exists that could help with this?

How're you all making your necks?

2. A coupla years ago I needed to narrow a P neck to J width and I made a simple jig to hold the neck in a shallow trough made from an MDF bottom and 1" x 2" poplar rails on the sides. I also made ends from the poplar. The neck was bolted to the MDF base through the bottom (neck screws) and at the headstock (through the tuner holes). Then I used a 2" x ¼" x 48" aluminum bar clamped to the top of the neck and rested my router there and on the rails. I marked the proper width at the nut, aligned the bar, clamped, and routed right down the edge of the neck. Voila' - a J from a P - and I didn't even have to defret it first!

I now have an extensive aluminum neck jig I've built. I really should post some pics because it's pretty neat. This jig does all that and also has the capability of it's own clamp system and you can set it up for trussrod routing, and a couple of other procedures.

Hope this helps

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'd definitely be interested in seeing some pics of that Jig Hambone!!!
    I, too, am looking to make some neck jigs so that I can route the neck taper instead of painstakingly hand planing, sanding.

Instructions on how to build the jig, along with pics, would be ideal, if you're willing to give up this precious information.

:hyper:

4. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I too would love to see what you've come up with. The (very very simple) design I came up with had no means of accurately lining things up. I'll make some more doodles.

5. Guys, there are going to be some changes in my status around here in the near future and only then will I be able to freely discuss some of my work and tools as I would like.

Right now, I try mightily to avoid untoward appearances because of my mod designation.

Trust me though, I'll be hard to miss when things get rolling.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    {voice of Spock}

INTRIGUING!!!!

7. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Isn't that taper jig for use with a table saw?? I don't have one of those, and would prefer to use my trusty router.

Hambone, I'm in the dark in regards to your vague comments about your future status on the board.
    It sounds positive, and intriguing, and mysterious, and vague.....
    so when the hell do we get pics of the jig, oh great jedi-master??
    :bassist:

9. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    PLEASE POST a Pic of this jig. if you have time. Just might help me out.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I'm totally missing out on this, Ham.
    What could possibly keep you from posting pictures? Not a mod status, that's for sure! Everybody knows that you are our tool hero, and expects you to have mercy on us.

Please? :help:

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I know he makes some SICK basses, too.
    He just won't let us see 'em until everything is just perfect.
    :crying: