Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck tapering...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JSPguitars, May 10, 2005.

1. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    So, I have 2 weeks off from work. Yay for me! Woohoo ...vacation! (sorry, had to celebrate). I've been working hard in the (new) garage the last two days, getting my necks prepared, as I'm trying to get together a batch of 4 or 5 instruments in these 2 weeks. There'll be 4 guitars and only one bass, unfortunately. I already threw one neck in the wood pile bin due to premature ejaculation, I mean tapering. I tried to route the taper using a bearing bit against a straightedge, but the bearing slipped and all hell broke loose.
    I need a new method of tapering, desperately. I'm thinking of breaking down and purchasing a used tablesaw. Is using a taper jig and a tablesaw the most practical way to taper? What kind of saw blade should I get if I do go the tablesaw route?
    I know this question has been asked before, and I did a search, but I'm not happy with the answers I found and Hambones jig he built seems far too complicated for me.
    I'll upload some pics of the projects when I can figure out how to reduce the size of my images.
    The guitars will be some singlecuts, inspired by the singlecut basses I enjoy so much, and Scott French's green beard hair masterpiece guitar.

2. I use the router method you described exclusively. I first rought cut the taper leaving about 1/8 to 1/16 and then use a template or pattern bit to get to size, always works great.

I had a bit bearing slip once routing a body outline with a template, pretty nasty stuff, but you just make sure you tighten the bearing before you start routing and all will be fine.

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    HEY!
    Hurry up with those pictures!! :)

Jon

4. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Use the bearing bit/straightedge on a piece of MDF to make a thicker straightedge. That way you have a thicker template than just a metal straightedge in case your bearing moves up again.

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I'm definitely tempted to use the router/template method....the bearing on the router did slip UP, unfortunately. I'm not sure how you go about Tightening the bearing.
    I'll probly try the MDF template route tomorrow. I'm off to download an image reducing program so I can post some pics.

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    here's some pics, if they turn out...... the bass will be the multi-laminated body. This bass has been a long time coming, as I finally moved and have some space to work on my shiznit.....

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    COOL!
    I was hoping you were going to have that funky scroll carving on the upper horn like one of your past basses! I like it!
    Looks like a lot of work...
    Jon

8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Geez, I miss Santa Cruz... :(

9. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Basschair, I take it you used to live in Santa Cruz?
    Great place, beautiful, expensive though.

Teacherguy-----thx for the kind words, glad somebody likes the funky scrolls

hopefully I'll have more pics soon.

10. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Well....I've been in NECK-dom for the last few days. Already had to scrap 2 of 'em. Ya Live and learn.

Here's another (crappy) pic of the progress...the bass neck is drying as I write this so hopefully tomorrow it will take shape, and I don't screw IT up.

I'm off to wash out the sawdust from my nostrils :crying: