Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck thickness between jazz and precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, May 20, 2002.

1. I am a jazz bass lover, I have owned two, and I am planning on buying a third, but I've been checking out MIM p-basses, I havent ever really played a p-bass before, whenever I saw fender basses I just jumped all over the jazzes, are the necks that different? are the p necks like alot bigger...or just a little?
    ***the reason i am switching to p-basses is because I really dont like how stock pickups on jazz basses sound, but it would cost twice more to replace the pickups in a jazz than a precision...sucks doesnt it?

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    what don't you like about the pickups? are they MIM jazz basses? have you tried playing a jazz through a good outboard preamp like a sadowsky or fodera stompox preamp? you'll be amazed at what a new animal your bass becomes through one of those babies. in any case, that's what i would do...

3. how much would one of those pre amps cost?

4. The Jazz necks are 1.5 inches across at the nut. I think the current P-basses are 1.65, which isn't that much wider, but, you can feel the difference when you pick them up. I think the old Pre-CBS P-bass necks were 1.75 inches at the nut just like the MM Stingrays. Now, that is a wide neck for a 4 string. Willy, the odd thing is that I used to only like thin Jazz necks, but, from trying out a lot of different basses, I grew to love wide necks. Don't let the fear of wide necks get to you; after you play them a while you might just change your mind. ;)

Mike J.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    In the early 70's, I had a choice between a precision and jazz, and on feel alone, I went with the precision. Back then, no one measured the necks or knew too much about the differences in pickups. And there were no internet forums either.

6. There's a slight difference for me. But not very drastic. Its kind of a moot point anyway, because the neck width's are equal when the neck meets the body. I don't think it will take too long to get used to a p-bass, unless you have really short fingers, in which case, a Fender probably isn't the best choice.

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    it seems to me, that if i really liked a bass (as you said you liked jazz basses) but wasn't happy with the pickups, i'd be more concerned with changing the pickups, rather than changing basses altogether and worrying about neck sizes, etc.... but i guess, like someone said, the point is moot.
    Very few people are 100% satisfied with any 1 bass. that's why many of us have more (or way more) than 1 bass. I guess you have to play a precision, and figure out whether the neck, pickup, tone, color, feel, blah, blah work for you, and then judge it against your jazz bass.

how about if i just put it like this: J-basses are great. P-basses are great. Have fun playing both and making up your mind!

good luck~

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Having owned a P-bass and then several five stringers over the years, ny recent addition of a MIM fretless Jazz has been really interesting. I have found this very skinny neck to be a lot of fun, but it does feel much slimmer to me than the P-bass, and a lot slimmer than my Spectors!