1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck thickness of a Modulus VJ Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapdatbass69, Sep 28, 2008.

1. slapdatbass69

slapdatbass69

Sep 28, 2008
    Dear fellow bass players

I'm new to the forum but certainly not new to the bass guitar. I 've been a professional for 18 years... I've looked around for a replacement of my '98 Am Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass mostly because it's got that 'Modern C' shape that it's too thick for me. I'm looking for a bass that is very thin and slim but not too wide at the nut (my Modulus Genesis is a P-bass at the nut).

Do any of you know if the graphite Modulus VJ neck is 'clunky', that is, comparable to the modern C shape? I'm looking for something very thin and fast to play, so that I can set it up very low. I'm one of those Jazz type of players who uses very little effort to play, not a rocker.

Thank you all very much for your help. I want to give my potential seller a word quickly.

Jim

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I had a VJ with with a wood/graphite spine neck, not the full graphite, and I found the profile very uncomfortable. It was thick and that combined with the flat radius didn't fell good.

I'm also familiar with the older Fender Deluxe's, and they vary from bass to bass, but I understand what you mean. . . they are kinda meaty, but still more comfortable than the Modulus, to me. The current Jazz Deluxes have much thinner necks, but still with that rounded profile.

Two basses that come in mind with what you're looking for are a Fender Geddy Lee and a Lakland Joe Osborne. Both have very thin neck. Also, I think that generally all '70s Jazz basses have very thin profiles, even the '75 reissues, both American and Japanese. The Marcus Miller model also has a thin profile.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I know the US Laklands have very nice thin, fast necks.

Dan

4. slapdatbass69

slapdatbass69

Sep 28, 2008
    Thanks both for your responses. I had the feeling that the VJ would be different than the Genesis. The Genesis neck is absolutely wonderful (but then again, slightly wide for me as the P basses)... There's no Modulus dealer in Chicago so I don't really have much of a chance to try one before buying, and I don't feel like spending a grand on a bass I'm unfamiliar with....

5. slapdatbass69

slapdatbass69

Sep 28, 2008
    Also, 007, the best neck i ever had was on a Japanese made Fender Jazz bass power plus (the type with Precision and Jazz pick-ups) which was awesome in sound and action but with a huge (i'm talking HUGE) dead spot on the C (g string). Oh well, the old Fender problem. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.